LVVS Meets the people of Lincolnshire
Scunthorpe - Saturday 21 July 2018
A selection of Lincolnshire Road Car buses owned by the Society and our members will be out and about on Saturday 21 July - bringing the once familiar 'Tillings Green' back to Scunthorpe for the day, and will be offering free rides. Independent operators may also be represented.
Please come and see us and the buses.
We will be at Carlton Street Car Park opposite Scunthorpe Bus Station, and offering short, free, local bus rides from 10.00 am to 3.00 pm - passengers will only be picked up and set down at Carlton Street.
Former Lincolnshire bus workers and their families are most welcome - feel free to bring along any old photographs, memorabilia and memories of the 'Lincolnshire' buses or other local operators.
Our thanks to North Lincolnshire Council for their assistance in staging this event.
We intend the following buses to be running (there may be one or two late additions) -
(FFU 860) - 1949 AEC Regal III, Willowbrook single deck
Ordered by Enterprise Passenger Services, Scunthorpe, but delivered after Road Car had acquired the Company. This bus, with 'dual purpose' seating, allowing it to be used on summer weekend services to the east coast, ran briefly in Enterprise's red/cream livery (and as far as we are aware, without fleetnames) prior to repaint into Tillings green livery. After non-public use, this bus came to preservation in the early 1970s.
| Lincolnshire 1045
(SVL 830R) - 1977 Bristol LH6L, ECW single deck
New in 1977 as one of Lincolnshire's large fleet of Bristol LH buses for single deck routes which did not justify a 'full size' single decker, No. 1045 served at a number of depots, including a spell in a special 'Newton Rider' livery for Grantham area services. No. 1045 was withdrawn in 1993 and began a second career as a driver training bus with Derby City Transport, passing to Arriva Derby. Withdrawn in 1999, it passed in to preservation, and after some years in 'National green' livery, it currently wears post privatisation green / white / yellow livery.
1904 (JVL 619H) - 1969 Bristol VR, ECW double deck
| Lincolnshire 2378
(OVL 473) - 1960 Bristol FS5G 'Lodekka', ECW double deck
The 'FS' model was a later version of the 'Lodekka' design, and this is one of many specified by Lincolnshire (and neighbouring company 'Eastern Counties') with 5 cylinder engines. Withdrawn in 1977, 2378 ran for a year in service with J.P.Williamson of Gauldry, Newport-on-Tay before passing into private ownership. An unexpected return to passenger service came in 1986 with Stagecoach of Perth, followed by a spell with Stagecoach subsidiary Magic Bus in Glasgow, latterly as a driver training bus. In 1991 it returned to preservation, and having been based at Boston depot for much of its service life, it has been restored with the Oldrids advertisement it carried in service.
(DFE 963D) - 1966 Bristol FS5G 'Lodekka', ECW double deck
No. 2537 was the last Lodekka bought new by Lincolnshire Road Car, and survived to be the company's last rear entrance bus in regular service, and was one of the three buses that operated on the last day of Lodekka operation in regular service at Scunthorpe in October 1982. In preservation (mainly in south west England) since then, 2537 returned to its home county in 2009.
BUS SERVICE - NOTES
Please be aware that most of our historic vehicles were not designed with modern levels of access in mind, and do not have space for unfolded wheelchairs (or baby buggies / push-chairs), but our conductors will offer what help they can.
We will make every effort to run the vehicles listed, but reserve the right to substitute or withdraw vehicles if circumstances dictate.
page created 11.7.18