Ordered by Enterprise Passenger Services of Scunthorpe as fleet number 60, it was first licensed by Lincolnshire Road Car in 1950 following their takeover of the company. This bus ran briefly in Enterprise’s red/cream livery and also Tilling’s green livery.
It spent most of its working life at Scunthorpe before being withdrawn in 1961 and then used by various contractors in North Lincolnshire. The bus was finally sold to a Worksop dealer for scrap from whom it was rescued for preservation in 1973 and since restored to the livery carried when new.
This bus has a 9.6 litre AEC engine and a sliding mesh gearbox. The traditional Yorkshire choice of bodywork from Charles H Roe of Leeds had a number of unusual features including a platform step arrangement, a Potts Patent air exchanger and ‘Sidhil Morseat’ staggered seats.
It was sold on in 1955 to local independent, Blue Ensign and continued to visit Doncaster regularly. In 1961, severe accident damage led to the bus being returned to Roe for rebuilding.
The final part of its working life was spent with the Basford Driving School in Nottingham from 1967 to 1971, before being acquired in for preservation (in derelict condition) by Tony Peart in 1980. Tony was a very well known and respected figure in the preservation movement, a long standing supporter and member of the LVVS. The society was honoured to have this bus and JDN 668 bequeathed to us upon his death in 2006.
This vehicle’s chassis was originally ordered by a Gloucester company to a high specification with a 9.6 litre engine, air operated brakes and a pre-select gearbox.
It was ultimately delivered new to Holme Delight of Donington for their Boston to Spalding service and passed, along with their stage carriage licence to Kimes of Folkingham. It remained in service with Kimes until the early 1970s.
This bus has a 7.7 litre AEC engine and a sliding mesh gearbox. The traditional Yorkshire choice of bodywork from Charles H Roe of Leeds included platform doors to suit the longer distance routes this bus would work with York Pullman, a company established in 1926 when garage owner, Norman Pearce, started a service between York and Stamford Bridge.
After covering 840,000 miles in service and two rebuilds after low bridge collisions, the bus was finally withdrawn in 1971. It was acquired by preservationist Tony Robinson and quickly passed on to Tony Peart. Tony was a very well respected figure in the preservation movement and the LVVS was honoured to have this vehicle and KDT 393 bequeathed to us upon his death in 2006.
The post-war AEC Regent was originally designed in conjunction with London Transport (LT), the prototype vehicle running in service in 1937. The post-war ‘RT’ class went on to serve LT up until 1979, with 4,825 being built before production ceased in 1954.
This example of a nationally important classic was supplied new to the LT country bus fleet for Green Line coach services.
Withdrawn in 1972, it was subsequently used by a farmer until being acquired for preservation and has since been restored to full operational condition.
New to Leeds City Transport as No. 952, the bus represents one of the last generation of ‘half cab’ double deckers. The bodywork is by the same Leeds based coachbuilder who built the bodies of most of Lincoln Corporation buses bought between 1941 and 1970 and is of part aluminium and part teak framed construction.
Withdrawn by Leeds in 1975, this bus passed via OK Motor Services to Tyne and Wear PTE in 1975 to meet what was expected to be a short term vehicle shortage.
It ran until 1979, carrying mainly its Leeds livery with some panels painted yellow. It entered preservation after withdrawal and after further restoration, returned to the road in 2014 carrying its Tyne and Wear livery. This Regent is fitted with a powerful 9.6 litre engine and has a semi automatic gearbox.
Midland Red was an unusual operator in that it built its own buses between 1923 and 1970, occasionally supplying vehicles to other companies. One such operator was Trent Motor Traction of Derby, who operated this AEC engined example, later relegating it to booking office duties in Skegness.
Acquired by the society in 1962, it was originally used as a tender vehicle at rallies before becoming a static canteen/rest room within the workshop building. It is now undergoing restoration.
Spending all it working life with Eastern National in Essex, this typical ‘lowbridge’ bus of the late forties had an incredible life after withdrawal. A group of students bought the bus, converted it to a large campervan and set off from Leigh on Sea in 1967 for a world tour! It covered 120,000 miles on a journey which included Australia and America.
Upon their return in 1969, the students didn’t want to see the bus scrapped, so the dealer who sold it them (and who was a founder member of the LVVS), had the vehicle towed up to Lincoln a few years later. The bus was used as a support vehicle for the society for many years before a financial award from the Arts Council allowed the bus to be fully restored and returned to Eastern National livery.
ONO is now a regular performer at our regular bus running events.
A post-war change of allegiance by Lincolnshire Road Car from the BET (British Electric Traction) to the Tilling group of companies led to a switch from Leyland to Bristol chassis for new vehicles purchased. This bus was one of the first batch of double deckers to be delivered after the war and has an AEC 7.7 litre engine together with normal height bodywork.
It entered service at Holbeach depot carrying fleet number 661 and was renumbered 2115 in 1953. The use of unseasoned timber on early post-war bodies led to the vehicle being returned to ECW for rebuilding in 1956, after which it remained in service with the Road Car until 1962.
It was then used by a farmer at Soham in Cambridgeshire before being acquired for preservation in 1978. After arriving at the museum in a partially dismantled state, restoration has been a long haul but it finally took to the road again in 2004.
New to United Automobile Services of Darlington, it served the company until 1956, by which time it had been rebuilt several times, including a ‘body swap’ from another of the same batch. The bodies for these were built at a temporary factory at Irthlingborough, Northants, as the Lowestoft factory had to be vacated very quickly due to enemy actions at the beginning of WW2.
Later life was with Greyhound of Sheffield, where the bus was used on contract work, including a spell at Lincoln carrying workmen building power stations on the River Trent. On withdrawal in 1963, it passed to the Society but it was not completely restored until recently.
Over the last 17 years or so, a huge amount of work by our volunteers has gone into this bus, which now wears its early 1950s livery.
The Bristol Lodekka was the first production double decker to be built to low height specification but with a normal centre gangway in the upper deck in place of the previous cumbersome offset gangway design. This was made possible by a dropped rear axle and offset transmission line., a design that became very popular and was licensed to Dennis for the ‘open market’.
This particular example was supplied to Lincolnshire Road Car as its fleet number 2318, operated mainly from Skegness and Boston depots and remained in service until 1973, when it was acquired for preservation by the Society’s founded member, Vincent LeTall.
This bus, fleet number 73, was one of the first Bristol chassis that were favoured by the City of Lincoln from 1973 onwards. Withdrawn in 1982 after a relatively short working life in the City, it saw further service with two Essex operators before moving back northwards to Craig Tilsley Engineers of Cotes Heath by 1982. There it was used principally as a store before being donated to the Society in 2001.
After a further period languishing in the rear year in a rather sorry state, No. 73 was taken under the wing of the Lincolnshire Cooperative Society Ltd in a joint venture with the LVVS to restore the bus to working order with an overall advert in celebration of the Co-op’s 150th birthday in 2011.
The 1960s saw the advent of the rear-engined bus, the Bristol RE being the most successful of the single deck designs. This coach version example was new to Lincolnshire Road Car as fleet number 1431 with 47 seat ‘dual purpose’ bodywork.
The coach spent much of its service life based at Skegness and Boston depots, for express service D (Skegness/Boston – London) as well as tours and excursions during the summer season. It was often transferred to Lincoln or stored out of service during the winter months. 1431 was the first vehicle in the Lincolnshire fleet to receive ‘National Coach White’ livery, in 1973.
Its later years were in NBC ‘local coach/dual purpose green and white livery, as fleet number 2231, mainly based at Newark depot and downgraded to service work. It was withdrawn from service in 1982 and acquired for preservation.
This bus returned to the museum during 2004 after some years away, was professionally restored and re-entered service in 2011. It was recently been fitted with a set of fully refurbished seats.
New to Lincolnshire Road Car in 1980 as fleet number 1958, it was initially allocated to Grimsby depot. This bus was the last VR and indeed the last Bristol in the Road Car fleet. It final duties being on school contracts in the Lincoln area in a striking yellow and red ‘school bus’ livery.
Upon withdrawal in 2001, it was donated by the Road Car to the Society and has since been repainted into the ‘National Bus Company’ green livery it carried when new.
One of three relatively unusual long wheelbase double deckers bought by City of Lincoln in 1980. It passed to Lincolnshire Road Car when it acquired LCT Ltd in 1993 and remained in service with them until 1995. Following withdrawal the bus was acquired by local operator Dickinson’s of Wrangle and used on a school service in the Boston area.
Out of use by late 2005 following engine failure, it was acquired by the Society. After some initial restoration work, we decided to cosmetically spruce up the exterior and tidy up the cab area so that our younger visitors can ‘play bus driving’.
New to Crosville Motor Services at Runcorn Depot in 1980 as fleet number DVG 455.
Following privatisation, this bus passed to (then) fellow Drawlane company North Western with the North Cheshire operations of the company in 1989. Withdrawn in 1997, it passed initially to Hill’s of Hersham, Surrey and then in 1999 to Victory Tours of Sixpenny Handley, Dorset, both mainly for school contract services. The latter painted the bus in a dark blue livery. In 2001, it passed to Verwood Bus of Verwood, Dorset where it ran in a two tone blue livery on school and stage carriage services until 2010.
It then passed to the society and is currently used as a store (not on general display)
This little coach was used on daily tours from Morecambe to the Lake District until the early 1950s. Of American design, this make was the predecessor of the famous ‘Bedford’ marque.
This is another vehicle in the collection that was originally acquired for preservation by the Society’s founder member, Vincent LeTall.
A repaint is currently underway and a thorough clean up of the interior.
W.H. Gash and Sons were established at Elton near Newark. In 1932, the Newark to Nottingham trunk service was introduced. WW2 brought enlarged airfields to the area, and double deck buses joined the fleet to meet passenger demand.
In winter, 1948/1949, a batch of four Strachan low bridge bodied Daimler CVD6s, W.H. Gash & Son’s first new double decker buses joined the fleet. In 1958-1960, the original four received new Massey high bridge bodies with platform doors; this was in response to a low bridge at Saxondale being modified to allow full height double deckers.
DD2 was withdrawn in 1979, entering preservation, subsequently passing in 1980 to the collection at the Transport Museum at Wythall, Worcestershire. DD2 joined the collection at the LVVS in July 2017.
Colchester Corporation ordered ten, unusually heavy, Roberts bodied Daimler CVD6 buses but took delivery of only five – the others being diverted to other operators. They arrived in the spring of 1949 and the last one in service, OHK 432 (No.4) was withdrawn in 1968.
By the early 1970s, it had found its way to the Coventry Road Transport Museum where it stayed until 1986.
It was then acquired by two members of the LVVS and stood for the next nine years awaiting electrical work. A thorough restoration took place in the late 1990s and No.4 returned to the rally circuit in mid 1999.
The standard wartime ‘utility’ bus was put into production in 1941 to a specification authorised by the Ministry of War Transport and Ministry of Supply. These wartime ‘utility’ specification buses were built to a basic design requiring the minimum of materials and skilled labour and several thousand saw service in many parts of the country including Lincolnshire. This example, fleet number 129, was in service in Northampton between 1945 and 1959 and was extensively refurbished to original design in 1952.
After withdrawal in 1959, the bus was sold for scrap but survived for over 30 years on ‘death row’ at Molesworth. After an amazing survival, 129 was bought for preservation in 1991 and moved to Lincolnshire in 2000.
A long restoration was completed in 2011 and is now regarded as a rare wartime survivor having significant national importance.
Lincoln Corporation No. 23 was exhibited at the Earls Court Commercial Motor Show when new, at that time having a Meadows engine. In 1953, the original engine was replaced by a Leyland 8.6 litre unit and this, in turn, was replaced by an experimental locally built Ruston and Hornsby 6YDA air-cooled engine in 1961. In this guise, No.23 became renowned for its lively, raucous performance and was presented to the Society by Ruston and Hornsby upon withdrawal from service in 1967.
No.23 now carries the livery adopted by the Corporation in 1955 and in which it was painted when the present engine was fitted. It is believed to be the only surviving Ruston engined bus in the UK.
This vehicle is a very rare beast indeed. The Badger was principally a goods chassis whilst the bodywork is the oldest Plaxton bus body in existence. Plaxtons were (and still are) located at Scarborough, one of a number of UK coachbuilders to have set up in coastal resorts to utilise available local labour outside the peak holiday season.
This little petrol engined bus spent its entire working life with Bradford Corporation, being used for educational activities up until 1962. It is one of a number of vehicles in our collection to have appeared in period film and television dramas; being transported to Ireland for filming of “Angela’s Ashes” in 1998.
It ventured outside the county for the first time in many years in April 2007 to participate in the Plaxton 100 celebrations at Scarborough.
The LSC Lion was a winner for Leyland Motors in its day, providing much better reliability and a livelier performance than its predecessors. Most PLSC Lions were bodied ‘in house’ by Leyland Motors, this example entering service with Blythe and Berwick of Bradford. It later passed to the West Yorkshire Road Car Company and then Jersey Motor Transport, before being repatriated to the ‘mainland’ by the Society in 1959.
It has been restored in the livery of Lincoln Corporation fleet number 1, VL 300, an identical vehicle. As an interesting aside, when the front axle was stripped down during its restoration, a swastika was uncovered, evidence of the German occupation of Jersey during the war.
Number 1 successfully participated in the 2011 London to Brighton rally.
Another LT1 Lion, one of four that Lincoln Corporation took delivery of with bodywork by a local coachbuilder, Applewhite of St Rumbold Street. It is believed to be the only surviving bus with bodywork by that coachbuilder. They had experimental concrete floors when new, which led to them being christened ‘the Leyland Fireproofs’ by staff.
This bus was first withdrawn from service in 1938, to be reinstated the following year because of the war-time shortage of buses and kept in service until 1949. In 1954, No.5 was sold to Sid Twell of Ingham, in whose yard it languised until being donated to the Society as their first vehicle in 1959.
This highly successful PLSC Lion, which introduced pneumatic tyres as a standard feature, was replaced in Leyland’s range by the LT1 model. This vehicle utilises the later ‘T’ type engine in its four cylinder form and has bodywork by Charles H Roe of Leeds.
This is the oldest surviving example of a Roe body, the sagging evident from front to rear being indicative of its age and the use of wood rather than metal or composite construction for body frames pre-war. Supplied new to Lancashire United Transport of Atherton, Lancashire, it was withdrawn in 1946 and subsequently passed to Jersey Motor Transport.
It was acquired by the Society in 1959 at the same time as fellow Lion KW 474.
A significant vehicle in Roadcar’s history as it was the last ECW bodied bus purchased new and the last double decker purchased under NBC ownership.
Delivered new in June 1985 to the Lincolnshire Roadcar Scunthorpe depot, it was equipped with a high ratio back axle for limited stop services across the Humber Bridge. In 2003 it was renumbered to 603 and repainted to mark the 75th anniversary of Lincs Roadcar (the current livery is based on the 1930’s style Lincolnshire Roadcar colour). A set of bus seats were installed at this point.
After withdrawal in 2008, 14090, as it had become under Stagecoach ownership, saw further use with Johnson’s of Hodthorpe. In December 2014, it was purchased by the LVVS thanks to a donation from one society member.
New as fleet no. 45, this was one of the last standard ‘bus’ double deckers purchased by Lincoln City Transport (LCT. It was fitted with an electronic dot matrix destination display and was painted into a special livery for the ‘Birchwood Flyer’ limited stop service. In 1993, it was renumbered to 645 following the acquisition of LCT by Lincolnshire Road Car, at which time the electronic display was replaced by standard destination blinds.
Following the Stagecoach acquisition of Lincs Roadcar in 2005, 645 was renumbered 14695 and become the sole remaining LCT vehicle in use with Stagecoach. Withdrawn from the Grimsby depot in October 2006, it entered preservation with Sam Duckering of Lincoln before joining the Society’s collection in 2011.
No. 41 was the first of twenty five Leyland Panthers purchased by City of Lincoln from 1967 to facilitate the widespread introduction of one-person-operation on its services. This bus was the only one fitted with moquette seats and luggage racks for private hire work and Council Committee use.
It remained in service until 1979 and was then sold to a local operator, Cross of Hibaldstow. From there, it was acquired for preservation in 1981 and steady progress with its restoration is being made by the current owner.
Leyland single deck buses were the mainstay of the pre-war Lincolnshire Road Car fleet, with 88 TS7and TS8 models bought. This TS7 example originally carried fleet number LT370 and was one of the first buses in the county to be powered by a diesel rather than petrol engine. A new Burlingham body replaced the original Brush body in 1949; it was renumbered 1411 in 1953 and remained in service with the Road Car until 1959.
Upon withdrawal it was acquired by the Society’s founding member, Vincent LeTall, for preservation and passed along with the rest of his vehicles to the Society.
This Leyland TD1 introduced the double decker to many routes for the first time, as a result of pioneering work by Leyland Motors on a low height design to produce a ‘lowbridge’ body incorporating a sunken gangway upstairs. Lincoln Corporation took delivery of the very first production model as its fleet number 24, FE 9755 in 19277.
Our example was supplied new to Bolton Corporation as its fleet number 54 and at a time when the normal life of a bus was seven years, WH 1553 was a remarkable survivor. In 1936, Bolton Corporation sold it to Hicks of Braintree and the rear platform and staircase were enclosed at some stage during its time with them. In 1947, the bus passed to its last operator, Honeywoods of Stanstead and remained in service until 1956, by which time it had travelled some 900,000 miles!
In 1958, this now rare survivor of a truly ground-breaking design was reacquired by Leyland Motors for posterity and they in turn donated it to the Society in 1965. By this time, the bus was in relatively poor condition and led to the most extensive restoration project the Society had ever tackled, including rebuilding the staircase to the original open layout.
The bus made its rally debut on the 1970 London to Brighton Run.
One of two Leyland chassis built in 1940 for the Lincoln Corporation fleet and bodied to full pre-war specification by Charles H Roe. These vehicles signalled the start of a long association between Lincoln and Roe, which lasted until 1970. No.64 was withdrawn in 1962 and acquired by the Society’s founder member, Vincent LeTall for preservation. It was initially kept at the rear of his house in Doddington Road!
No. 64 now carries the early post-war livery adopted by the Corporation.
Leyland’s post-WW2 double decker was the Titan PD1 model fitted with a 7.4 litre engine, developed from a military unit. Although Leyland Motors produced their own body for the PD1 (and PD2) models, the first PD1 to enter service in March 1946, carries a Roe body similar to this one.
A batch of similar buses was bought by Lincoln Corporation. The bus entered service in July 1946 as No. 726 in the fleet of Yorkshire Traction, being withdrawn in 1961. The bus was then used by the British Racing & Sports Car Club as a club room before being rescued for preservation.
Much restoration work has been carried out and was completed in 2021.
This vehicle represents the later stages of development of the Leyland Titan chassis with a larger 9.8 litre engine and part synchromesh gearbox. This bus spent its entire working life with Lincoln Corporation, carrying fleet number 89 and was the last open platform bus in service.
Following withdrawal in 1977, it was acquired for preservation by a consortium of Society members and repainted into the ‘wrong’ shades of green and cream in which the batch was delivered when new.
The bus now carries the livery introduced by the Corporation in 1963.