‘Septimus’ arrived at the museum in 2008. Approximately 290,000 Austin Sevens were produced at Austin’s Longbridge factory between 1922 and 1939, of which 7000 are believed to still exist.
This London registered car, purchased new for £118 is fitted with a 747cc side valve engine, a 4 speed gearbox and cable brakes. It has only had two owners since 1959 and was used by its present owner as her first car as long ago as the 1960s., but was subsequently off the road for many years.
Then David Wall’s ‘Toad Hall Workshops’ in Norfolk undertook a full restoration of the bodywork, electrics and upholstery and this was followed by a complete engine overhaul by Ian Bancroft of Grantham in 2004.
It is now part of the operational fleet.
First registered in 1937, this car was supplied new to the LeTall’s milling business in Princess Street, Lincoln by Young’s garage in St. Catherines. It has 1125cc, 9,99hp engine, a top speed of 59mph and fuel consumption is 33mpg.
A 21st birthday present to Vincent LeTall from his grandmother, this car had already clocked up over 100,000 miles in the hands of representatives employed by the mill.
It was used by Vincent on his honeymoon and for subsequent family trips to Scarborough before it came to the society.
A relatively rare survivor of the post-war Austin 10, many of its contemporaries having succumbed to corrosion by the time of the ten year MOT.
Apart from re-sprayed in the same green as it was supplied new, this car is in original condition. Most cars of the period were black and it was very rare to find one in any other colour.
This shape of body was a continuation of the 1939/1940 model, before the appearance of the first new post-war model, the A40 Devon saloon.
Prior to acquisition by Mr LeTall for his collection, this car was owned by Miss Plum, a teacher at the Convent School in Lincoln
First registered at Kesteven County Council in October 1928, it was supplied by WP Maidens of Southgate, Sleaford to Mr Harpham, a local chemist. It then had three subsequent owners, including one of the Society’s present members, before being bought by Mr LeTall from Mr J Daymond-King in December 1961 for £75.
It has since been refurbished by Society members, the work undertaken including an engine rebuild, a rewire of the electrics and the fitting of a new hood. A complete external repaint has also taken place.
First registered in May 1934 in Southport, it had only one previous owner, Jardines of Morecambe and was licensed as a hackney carriage at an annual rate of £10.
When the broadcaster, the late Wilfred Pickles was at Morecambe for a summer season, this car was used to transport him to and from his hotel in the Lake District. It was last licensed up to the end of December 1961.
The vehicle has undergone a very thorough restoration involving the removal of the body from the chassis.
This car was first registered in August 1936 at Grimsby Borough Council and cost £328 when new. It was supplied by local Austin dealer, Grimsby Motors of Eleanor Street, Grimsby and used by their manager, Mr Gilliot.
Mr LeTall acquired it for his collection in September 1969 from Fred Lloyd (Motors) Ltd of Nun’s Corner, Grimsby for the sum of £450.
It is in largely original but thoroughly roadworthy condition and used regularly, a testimony to the build quality of the pre-war British motorcar.
A popular family car of the late 1970s and early 1980s, more noteworthy for some unusual design features than its reliability!
This example is a relatively late Series 3 model donated to the society by Mr John Day from Collingham and is in remarkably good and original condition.
The Enfield 8000 was one of 120 built by Enfield Automotive of Cowes on the Isle of Wight during the period 1973-1977. 65 of the cars were owned by regional Electricity Boards but the price of £2600 deterred buyers as you could buy two Minis for this!
An unusual vehicle which has a 3.6 litre (30hp) V8 side valve engine, 3 speed gearbox, cable brakes and a 6 volt electrical system.
The first V8 to be built in Britain, these cars were popular on large estates for shooting parties. They were regarded as good performers by 1930s standards, having a top speed of over 80mph.
This example was presented to the Society by the Countess of Yarborough and returned to the road in 2005 following a comprehensive restoration.
A ‘classic’ of its time, this car has a 1600cc crossflow engine with a 3 speed automatic gearbox and cost £1066. 12s. 11d when new.
Known affectionately as ‘Clara’ by its previous owners, it was donated to the Society to commemorate the 25th birthday of the Capri. An extensive restoration has just been completed.
This model was known as the luxury car with the big back room in its day, due to the large estate area once the tailgate was lowered and the rear seats folded. It is fitted with a 1725cc engine, a four-speed gearbox and has covered less than 75,000 miles from new.
It was donated to the Society in 1994, having been owned from new by a well-known Lincoln cyclist, Hector Crane
The Rover 2000 was considered to be an outstanding development in automotive engineering when it was first launched in 1964 and it was a direct competitor to the Triumph 2000. It boasts 4-wheel power-assisted brakes, a De-Dion rear axle and bodywork of a unitary construction but with detachable panels.
This particular example carries a Lincoln registration and served two local owners for a total of 40 years before coming into the Society’s care in late 2006.
This 1275cc Maestro, first registered in October 1991 is the youngest vehicle in the Society’s collection.
It was originally acquired by Mr Piper of Newark in April 1994. There’s a recorded mileage of 48,500 from new and the car is in remarkable, original condition, having been meticulously cared for by Mr Piper until he kindly donated it to the Society in October 2008.
Singer & Co. was formed in Coventry in 1875 by Messrs George and James Singer, as a bicycle manufacturer. The Company started making motorcycles in 1901 and its first motor cars appeared in 1905.
The ‘Junior’ model was produced from 1927 to 1935. This 1930 saloon model was £160. Our car has an 848cc overhead camshaft engine, 3 speed crash gearbox and cable brakes.
It was presented to the LVVS by Youngs Garage of Lincoln.
A sports saloon with a 2.5 litre overhead valve engine, 4-speed synchromesh gearbox and Girling rod brakes, this model marked the true change in SS Cars Ltd from coachbuilder to motor manufacturer.
Introduced in 1935, this model is powered by a 20hp Standard engine with a Weslake overhead valve cylinder head, mounted in an under slung chassis by Rubery Owen and has a top speed of 85mph. The early models were built of steel panels on an ash wood frame, but ‘all steel’ construction was employed from 1937.
The price of this car in 1939 was £395 and it is believed to be the only survivor of the 129 cars of this type built for the 1940 model year.
Bought by three Society members for £25 in the early 1970s, this car was in a sorry state. An extensive restoration followed and completed in 1994.
The Standard Motor Company was revitalised in the 1930s by Capt. John Black, who introduced the Flying models (so called because of their fastback styling) at the 1935 Motor Show in 9, 10, 12 and 14 hp versions.
The 12hp model was priced at £259 and this example features a side valve engine with a 4 speed synchromesh gearbox and cable brakes.
It was presented to the Society by Miss Sybil Ingoldsby on her retirement as secretary to Mr Raymond Mays of Bourne, a founder of the E R A racing car dynasty which subsequently became known as B R M.
After the takeover of Vauxhall by General Motors in 1928, Vauxhall products gradually took on a more transatlantic look. The 12hp, introduced in 1935 at £195 and fitted with a 6-cylinder overhead valve engine, 4-speed synchromesh gearbox and cable brakes, is no exception.
A popular family car in its day, being chiefly remembered for its smooth riding chassis and very sweet engine. This car is in ‘as acquired’ condition and awaits restoration.