The name, AJS, came rather unusually from the initials of the maker’s eldest son, Albert John Stevens. This example is an 18S model with an overhead valve engine, the ‘S’ standing for ‘sprung’. It was supplied new by Wests (Lincoln) Ltd, being first registered in March 1950 to Mr John Holmes of Reepham. In 2013, it was decided to get the AJS back into running order. This led to a ‘nut and bolt’ restoration which was completed in mid 2015.
This motorbike, was kindly donated to the society, along with a full set of spares, by Mr. Evans of Scunthorpe who had owned it since new and meticulously looked after it.
In 1995, BMW ceased production of airhead 2-valve engines and moved its boxer-engine line completely over to the 4-valve oil head system first introduced in 1993, which means this example is powered by one of the last 2-valve engines.
This moped was first registered in April 1965 and its last owner was Mr Alan Robinson of Gainsborough.
Launched in 1958 as the Supercub, the Stepthru has been a mainstay of the Honda product range, with no less than twenty million having been sold since 1992. This example is an automatic with a 4-stroke engine and was first registered in June 1976. Its last owner was Mr Alan Robinson from Gainsborough.
This moped was purchased new by a Dr Ewing of Bardney, who sold it to Mr Sumner, also of Bardney, with the original tank of fuel in the 1970s. In 1981, it then passed to Mr Sumner’s son-in-law, a Mr Munro of Lincoln
A relatively rare make of moped, this example has had only two local owners from new and was donated to the museum by Mr George Moulton of Lincoln.
Manufactured by Raleigh of nearby Nottingham, this locally registered moped joined the Society’s collection in the summer of 2009.
First registered on the 18th January, 1950, this has been restored to running condition by Mr Roy Dale. He has been spotted riding it at our running days!
Originally registered in Cumbria, Ann Oxlade donated this bike as a kit of parts to the LVVS in memory of her late husband, John. He had a long association with the museum in several senior roles. Phil Adams and Chris Gouldson have done a tremendous job bringing the classic bike back to life. It was officially completed in November 2015.